The Volunteer Coordinator, Jeni Miller, is responsible for recruiting, training and managing the volunteers for the Highland One Stop Shop. We are still looking to recruit more volunteers from across Highland who will provide support to many aspects of our work, the main areas being:
- Social Groups – supporting a small group to enjoy socialising in the local community.
- Special Interest Groups – supporting social interaction and expression through creative arts (e.g. a music or creative writing group).
In addition, we will also use volunteers to support various other activities such as quiz nights, film nights and art group. Volunteers will also help out with our Saturday drop-in days. There are new social events starting all the time, so new volunteer opportunities are always available.
What do we expect from volunteers?
- An interest in helping people to get out more and learn new skills.
- A sociable, outgoing and friendly nature.
- A regular, but not necessarily lengthy, time commitment.
- A tolerant, non-judgmental approach.
- A willingness to learn.
What can volunteers expect from us?
- Regular supervision support.
- Regular group support.
- Expenses paid (including mileage allowance of 45p per mile).
- Opportunities for personal development.
- Fun – it is important to us that you enjoy your volunteering experience.
All volunteers are given induction training, which is divided into three sessions. The first session looks specifically at Autism (what it is, communication issues etc.); the second is concerned with the practical side of volunteering with HOSS (confidentiality, boundaries, health and safety etc.) and the third looks at Adult Protection.
In addition, volunteers will be given the opportunity to develop their skills through further training. This may be internal or external courses provided by relevant professionals.
Anyone interested in volunteering for the Highland One Stop Shop should contact our volunteer coordinator Jeni Miller on 01463 717649 or email jeni.miller@email@example.com and arrange to meet for an informal chat.